Haggis & Fried Egg Over Swedish style Rye Bread
- 130g MacSween haggis in a hurry
- 200 ml buttermilk
- 100 ml plain yoghurt
- 150 ml black treacle
- 1.25 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 300 ml (160g) plain flour
- 300 ml (175g) rye flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground fennel seeds
- 1/2 tsp ground aniseed
- Handful of fresh or frozen lingonberries (optional)
- 10g butter
- 10g butter
- 100g baby spinach
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 eggs
- Handful of fresh or frozen lingonberries for serving (optional)
- Salt and pepper
- For the bread, grease a bread tin with the butter and dust it with flour.
- Mix all the dry ingredients together (bicarbonate, flour, salt, fennel, and aniseed) and stir in the buttermilk, yoghurt and treacle.
- Carefully fold in the lingonberries if using. Pour the batter into the bread tin and bake at 175C for around an hour. Leave to cool before slicing.
- Heat half the oil in a pan and lightly sauté the spinach for a couple of minutes. Season with lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- In a different pan, fry the eggs and haggis until the eggs are ready and the haggis is hot.
- Serve the spinach, eggs, and haggis over the rye bread and finish with lingonberries.
Recipe © Macsween | https://www.macsween.co.uk/recipes/
At this time of year, many of us are enjoying the festive spirit quite literally, as we indulge in food and drinks.
Sometimes, we can be left in a slightly delicate state in the morning, to today, we present something that may help a little, in a recipe from Macsween.
This suggestion for Haggis & Fried Egg Over Swedish style Rye Bread, is a hearty brunch with a Nordic touch, for the morning after the night before.
Producing more than 1334 tonnes of haggis this year alone, Macsween of Edinburgh has seen immense growth over the past year with an increase of 8% in haggis production, meaning the company has enough to serve Christmas dinners across the UK.
Since launching the vegetarian haggis in 2017, sales have increased by 5% over the past year and they are expecting this to be a record Christmas.
Macsween of Edinburgh is a third-generation family business that produces multi- award-winning products including classic haggis, gluten-free haggis, vegetarian and vegan-friendly haggis and black pudding. Nutritious, versatile and quick to cook, Macsween of Edinburgh’s products are perfect for adding a tasty and nutritious twist to a variety of recipes.