Chocolate and Hazelnut Cake
- 375g whole hazelnuts, toasted
- 375g dark chocolate, melted
- 375g butter
- 200g soft brown sugar
- 175g caster sugar
- 9 eggs
- 50ml Frangelico hazelnut liqueur
- To serve: Ice cream
- Fresh berries
- First, preheat the oven to 180°C. Blitz the hazelnuts into a breadcrumb consistency in an electric blender. Fold the crushed hazelnuts through the melted chocolate.
- Whisk the butter and sugars together until they become light and fluffy. This can be done by hand or use an electric mixer if you want to speed up the recipe.
- Add the eggs two at a time, alternating with a spoonful of the hazelnut and chocolate mix. Once fully combined, add the Frangelico and mix again to make sure it’s fully incorporated into the mix.
- Grease and line a 26cm cake tin and add the mixture. Place in the pre-heated oven for 1 hour. The top of the cake will be set but the centre will be a little wet. The cake will set overnight, so leave it in the tin and portion the next day. Serve the cake with some fresh berries, ice cream or whatever takes your fancy!
In the cold winter months, there is nothing better to lift the spirits than a sweet, chocolate treat.
This cake ticks that box and is also super quick to make. Baking it the day before you plan to serve it means that all the flavours have a chance to develop, making it even more delicious. The fudgy centre gives the cake a rich and decadent texture making it feel like a real treat!
This recipe comes from The Spiritualist in Aberdeen and features on their special festive menu. The restaurant and bar is renowned for its incredible cocktail selection, which can be enjoyed alongside their locally sourced food menu. This Christmas season, The Spiritualist will have festive food and drink menus to help everyone to get into the spirit!
For more information or to book a table, visit https://thespiritualistaberdeen.co.uk/ or call 01224 587717.