Wild Venison Shank Casserole
- 2 venison shanks
- 100g smoked lardons
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 large carrot chopped
- 1 red pepper chopped
- 1 large stick of celery chopped
- 750ml of beef stock or left-over red wine or dark beer
- Brown the shanks in a frying pan, remove and place them in a casserole dish.
- Gently fry the lardons in the same pan, add the vegetables and fry until soft (add a little oil if necessary).
- Mix in the flour and cook briefly, then pour in the stock, wine or beer. Stir well and add the mixture to the casserole.
- Bring the casserole to simmer then put it into a low oven/100C for 3-4 hours. You can give it an occasional stir or just head out and return later for a delicious hearty meal
A Scots business is celebrating the launch of its new online shop by sharing a delicious recipe with Scottish Field readers.
For the past 27 years Woodmill Game – formerly known as The Game Cart – has been based in Lindores, Fife, and had a fundamental focus on bringing more game to people’s plates.
Now in 2019, with a fresh new brand and genuine excitement about innovative recipes and ideas, they are more than ready to get game out there.
The secret is in the sourcing. All their game is 100% wild (never farmed), sourced through their own family deer stalking and game bird processing businesses.
This allows them to constantly explore and develop ways to bring exciting and innovative products to their growing base of game fans.
Now that their shiny new online shop is up and running, we’ll be bringing you our delicious recipes of the month and supplying all the meat the along the way.
For more details about Woodmill Game click HERE.